Thursday, December 4, 2008

Bike Mounted Map/Compass Holder


I mounted up my homemade map/compass holder to my bike last night. I stole this idea, somewhat, from David Frei's unique pie server design. I figure the spatula gets the map a bit further out of the way. The clamp allows me to rotate my standard map case any direction I want without adding a huge amount of weight. The compass is nice as long as you aren't moving which means it is useless. Too much vibration and the needle is all over the place. I thought about replacing it with one of those windshield mounted compass balls after it's inaugeral run at D2D this year but I epoxied the baseplate compass to the spatula and I would have to start from scratch. I'd hate to throw away a perfectly good $3 spatula with optional stationary compass.

All I need to do now is tape on a couple of cut out milk jugs to keep the wind off my hands and I'll have one sweet ride.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I also got a Handlebar-mounted map holders for my bike. My filipino friends and I are adventure racer back in Asia. So, the the Rotating Map Holder from Adventure Racing Navigation Supplies caught my eye.